Post Crossing

So, I came across a website called Post Crossing. What is Post Crossing, you may start to wonder? Let me explain to you in detail:


The project
The goal of this project is to allow people to receive postcards from all over the world, for free. Well, almost free! The main idea is that: if you send a postcard, you will receive at least one back from a random Postcrosser from somewhere in the world.

Why? Because, like the author, there are lots of people who like to receive real mail.
The element of surprise of receiving postcards from different places in the world (many of which you probably have never heard of) can turn your mailbox into a box of surprises - and who wouldn't like that?

How does it work?
First, the short version:

request an address from the website
mail the postcard to the address
wait to receive a postcard
register the received postcard in the system
The first step is to request to send a postcard. The website will display (and send you an e-mail) with the address of another member and a Postcard ID (e.g.: US-786). You then mail a postcard to that member.

The member receives the postcard and registers it using the Postcard ID that is on the postcard. At this point, you are eligible to receive a postcard from another user. You are now in line for the next person that requests to send a postcard. Where the postcard comes from is a surprise!

You can have up to 5 postcards traveling at any single time. Every time one of the postcards you send is registered, you can request another address. The number of postcards allowed to travel at any single time goes up the more postcards you send!


But why, you might still not be convinced. Allow me to elaborate a little more. When I was still a student, I really enjoyed having penpals. Although the furthest penpals I have are mostly from Malaysia and Indonesia, I simply revelled in the thought of receiving a hand-written letter. But as me and my penpals started growing up into adulthood, the correspondence lessen more and more. To the point where we no longer send letters to each other anymore.

What's more, the Internet is starting to get popular. And I started to miss the good old days of receiving something handwritten in my mailbox. I tried sending hand-written letters and post-cards to my old school friends and ex-colleagues, only to get my reply via e-mail. It really saddens me that technology is getting so advanced that no one wants to sit down and write out a hand-written note, or even a post-card.

And I always wished those days won't go away, but sadly, we all must make way for technology to advance. And all these years, I never gave up thought of receiving something that is hand-written in my mailbox.

Fast forward to 18 years later, which is now in 2012, I came across Post Crossing on a blog and curiosity got the better out of me. I clicked on the link, and came to this wonderful little site called Post Crossing, where registered members send hand-written post-cards to someone randomly given. Even though it might be random, but I am definitely glad someone else out there believes in what I hoped for all these years.

That joy of receiving a hand-written post-card/note from a complete stranger halfway across the world. And I must say THANK YOU to the person responsible at Post Crossing. You just made my hand-written dreams came true and alive once more!

Unknown

Riih Rion is bashful when facing cameras and video-cams. But she soon realized she is more comfortable behind a PC screen than in front of a lens. Riih is passionate about beauty products, paranormal & folk lore from anywhere in the world and sushi. Especially sushi. Come visit her blogs or drop her a comment :D

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on -Chopsticks-, a personal blog that touches on pop culture. Kindly note that I will comment back on your blog (on your latest blog post) as soon as I possibly can, unless I'm not online.

Rules:

1. Kindly avoid promotional/non-sense/unrelated comments as this can be reason for deletion of your comments.

2. Avoid commenting with "nice post"/"thanks for sharing", or the likes. Kindly just read the post and comment something about it.

3. Replying with some facts/rumors or other info related to the post is well appreciated too.

Your comments always make my day(s) feel special and appreciated and each comment will be followed up as well. Thank you and have a wonderful day ahead~