Japanese Omelette Rice with Heinz Tomato

My love affair for Japanese Omelette Rice (a.k.a OmuRice) started when I bought my first OmuRice at Liang Court back when I was 18 years old. Despite the OmuRice being cold already, since by the time I bought it, it was already 8pm at night, I thought that was the best rice dish I've ever tasted. And for the next couple of years, I've tried recreating my own OmuRice, but it just didn't taste the same. Heck, it didn't even taste remotely like how OmuRice is supposed to taste. And I'm telling you, it was just pure agony for me. I did almost everything right but the taste just didn't quite measure up. It just tasted like something aliens will probably approve since well, it just didn't taste like OmuRice.


Until a few years ago, I chanced upon Heinz Tomato Ketchup. And I thought, "What the hell?" and bought my very first Heinz Tomato Ketchup and made OmuRice once more. And was I surprised at how close the taste was to the original I've eaten so many years ago. Heinz Tomato Ketchup have this sour-ness that actually complements OmuRice on a tasty level, something that I felt was missing from other different brands of tomato ketchup I've bought and tried before. If only I knew Heinz was the one, I would have hunted for Heinz specifically from Day 1, instead of having to feel that pain and anguish that made me think I suck as a beginner chef.


Yes, I know my recipes are really limited. But, it cannot suck to such an extent that a plate of Omurice just doesn't taste anything like OmuRice at all. And abruptly after finding Heinz made the perfect choice for OmuRice, I kinda lost interest in it as my ingredients for OmuRice was also limited as well. And so, another few sad and lonely years without Heinz went by, until I found myself a winner of 8 yummilicious (Yes, I invented the word "yummilicious" first on this blog many years ago! Others are just plain old copycats :D ) and my fervor for OmuRice came back once again. And I also realized, you can mix and match the ingredients in OmuRice and make it into your very own OmuRice. Just don't omit the rice please, it won't be OmuRice anymore if there's no rice in it.


And now, here's my take on my all-time favorite OmuRice:



First of all, you need eggs to make the "Omu" in OmuRice a.k.a Omelette Rice. I sometimes adore eggs to a fanatic level, so I am using 2 eggs here. I've also added pepper, salt and cold milk as milk actually makes the omelette "creamier". Now, beat the hell out of those eggs and set them aside. And let's face it, that's the only time you shall be allowed to crack the "Bad Chef Beat Eggs" joke. If you do not like eggs or feel that it will be too full, go ahead and skip the eggs. Those eggs will probably go "Phew!"



Next, I got myself some peas ❤❤❤ i just love peas, they're so round, and little and green and I wish every dish must have mandatory peas involved in it. Peas~

Best boil them in water first, to soften them. In this way, you need not cook too long with it.



Sliced mushrooms, mine's regular mushrooms. I don't really think there's a limit on what type of mushrooms are best suited for OmuRice, just stay away from the fungus types. Those are mostly for soups...

Same with the peas, boil them with water to soften first to avoid having to cook them for too long.



Meat. Any type of meat can be used actually, if you like chicken, go chicken. If you like beef, get them beef. If you like fish, erm, leave the fish at the side, don't cook it in. Fish inside OmuRice may be a tad nasty for some of us. You can actually deep-fried your fish and place it beside your OmuRice as a side dish instead. *mumbles* Where did that fish pop out from??



Rice. Of course you need rice, where did you think the "Rice" in "OmuRice" came from. Doesn't matter what type of rice, what brand, as long as it is rice. You can try cous cous, just make sure your cooked rice isn't wet and soggy at all. Wet and soggy rice are just as nasty too :/



And not forgetting my new beloved hero, Heinz Tomato Ketchup with Balsamic Vinegar. I cannot stress how perfect Heinz tomato ketchup is, as a necessary ingredient for OmuRice. With Heinz, you don't actually need too much salt nor pepper for flavoring as the tomato ketchup is already flavorful enough on it's own. *mumbles* My Precious...



Now that you've got all the necessary ingredients pat down, you can start preparing to cook them. If you prefer something else other than peas, meat and mushrooms, go ahead and switch them. But first, you need butter, preferably unsalted and low cholesterol version. Using butter actually gives your OmuRice that rich and creamy flavor that it deserved. Melt that butter in your saucepan over medium heat.



Now, you dump in the peas, mushrooms and meat into the melted butter and commence doing the pre-Heinz dance over the stove. Kidding! Just stir them until the meat looked almost well-cooked.



And now that, they're almost well-cooked or if you're off by a little and it turns out cooked, so be it. At this point, the peas and mushrooms should already be cooked at least, after their hot water bath.
Pour a generous amount of Heinz Tomato Ketchup onto your coooked meat, peas and mushroom. Pour more if necessarily, as you will find that you need not add salt at all, maybe just a pinch of pepper to taste. Stir it until your Heinz Tomato Ketchup is thoroughly mixed with your meat, peas and mushrooms.



Now that the rice is cooked, go ahead and plonk it into the saucepan and stir that rice until it is a pretty orange-y and reddish color. Evenly please, or it's going to be weird having mouthful of Heinz Tomato rice with plain white rice fighting to win over your tastbuds.



And this is how your OmuRice with Heinz Tomato looks like when it's finally done. If you want eggs a.k.a Omelette, go ahead and cook them. If not, just skip the eggs in the beginning.



Again, melt butter in your cleaned saucepan. As using butter instead of oil, will give the eggs that creamy and rich flavor.



Pour in your beaten and flavored egg into the saucepan once the butter melts. Anyway, I suck at making omelette, so I stick with my usual scrambled runny eggs instead.



Once the egg is cooked, pile it on top of your OmuRice and go wild with Heinz once more. I prefer adding dots of Heinz to make it look like a Heinz Food Art item before devouring it.


Unknown

Riih Rion is bashful when facing cameras and video-cams. But she soon realized she is more comfortable behind a PC screen than in front of a lens. Riih is passionate about beauty products, paranormal & folk lore from anywhere in the world and sushi. Especially sushi. Come visit her blogs or drop her a comment :D

2 comments:

  1. Wow, this looks really good and I'm hungry. I'll be right over for some of this. Yummy.

    Have a terrific day. ☺

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @ Sandee:

      It is. You have to try it, even if you had to buy one first. It really changes your perspective on rice alone :)

      Delete

Thank you for commenting on -Chopsticks-, a personal blog that touches on pop culture. Kindly note that I will comment back on your blog (on your latest blog post) as soon as I possibly can, unless I'm not online.

Rules:

1. Kindly avoid promotional/non-sense/unrelated comments as this can be reason for deletion of your comments.

2. Avoid commenting with "nice post"/"thanks for sharing", or the likes. Kindly just read the post and comment something about it.

3. Replying with some facts/rumors or other info related to the post is well appreciated too.

Your comments always make my day(s) feel special and appreciated and each comment will be followed up as well. Thank you and have a wonderful day ahead~