Those Loyalty Chop Chop Cards..

Well, it's no surprise that Singapore started catching on to the concept of Loyalty Card programmes from the early 1990s onwards. Some times, I like that certain establishments I go to have something to reward their loyal customers. And yet some days, I hate it's existence so much I wonder why on earth does something so blasphemous exist?



For instance, let's take a look at McDonald's Sweet Treat Card, which I had the unfortunate experience of getting after deciding to get myself a sundae cos the weather is a little too humid for my personal liking. At first glance, it looks like frequent McDonald ice cream buyers are getting a really good deal, as the front of the card mentioned:


Just flash this card on the 15th of every month for a free McFlurry topping!

Okay, somehow that got me a little excited. But then, I am not really a fan of McFlurry, so it's probably a lost cause by giving me this card since I prefer Sundaes to the McFlurries.



Until I turned over and saw that the card was valid until 15 August 2012, which happened to be a day away. So, essentially, I need to gorge and stuffed myself stupid on the 15 August 2012 with exactly 6 McFlurry just to take advantage of the offer. And the date I received this card? 14 August 2012...


Which brings this question to mind? How desperate is McDonald's in trying to get more sales on their McFlurry which debut to so much fanfare on the day it was first unveiled, which significantly and probably dropped in sales, ever since their customers realized that there is more than just McFlurry at all McDonald's franchise outlets throughout Singapore?


By now, I am definitely sure that most Singaporeans are aware that of late, McDonald's meals are practically getting smaller while the prices are going in the opposite direction, a.k.a more expensive. And their ice-cream? It's getting more and more watery, and ice cream are supposed to be thick and creamy, but yet have a soft and chewy consistency.


And don't even get me started on how expensive their "exclusive" McFlurry are starting to sell. Every time they have a new McFlurry flavor, the price almost practically leap close to onefold, and most times, it happened to be flavors I do not personally like. And it's mostly due to the fact that it is so uber sweet, we are better off chomping and swallowing spoonfuls of pure sugar instead of a McFlurry.


And those particular McFlurry flavors I am so fond of because it's something I'd probably never spend money to buy the actual item, they always always always decided to sell it on a shorter amount of time. Whereas flavors that are so sweet you can probably die of hyperventilation due to the sweetness level are always always always sold for the longest. That I can never understand. Good ones, they sell for a really limited time. not so good ones, they sell it as long as possible, in which to torture consumers like me into going for Sundaes at the end, cos it's slightly cheaper and have either Hot Fudge or Strawberry topping. (I prefer Hot Fudge more to Strawberry.)


Albeit on a side note, at least McDonald's are reasonable to the point where you only need to accumulate 6 chops on the card before getting a free dessert of your choice. But considering that I got the card 1 day before it expires, it feels more like they are trying to either make me feel cheated or trying to fatten me up by making me so kiasu I want to take advantage of it before it expires.


And this ultimately brings their Sweet Treat Card to the ultimate conclusion.


Please, for the love of anything living and breathing and can afford to buy your dessert. Get rid of this loyalty card once and for all. As it seems to be that McDonald's are not a veteran of any sort when it comes to loyalty card(s). Most loyalty cards I've come across have an expiry date at least 6 months to a year from the date of issue. And the one your cashier gave me is possibly one that wasn't give out fast enough. How on earth am I supposed to swallow down 6 McFlurry in the span of 12 hours just to take advantage of the good deal?


Your customers are human, not vacuum machines. And not everyone wants to eat ice cream on a daily basis, just so they can watch their weight go up on the weighing scales. And on top of that, you need better planning on loyalty cards. Maybe, just maybe take a few hints and pointers from other companies that are successful in doing so just so you can avoid making yourselves look like total douche bags by giving out a card that expires the very next day.


Yours Sincerely,
A Disgruntled Ice Cream Lover


Unknown

Riih Rion is bashful when facing cameras and video-cams. But she soon realized she is more comfortable behind a PC screen than in front of a lens. Riih is passionate about beauty products, paranormal & folk lore from anywhere in the world and sushi. Especially sushi. Come visit her blogs or drop her a comment :D

1 comment:

  1. I've not had anything at McDonald's in years and years. We just don't go there.

    Have a terrific day. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting on -Chopsticks-, a personal blog that touches on pop culture. Kindly note that I will comment back on your blog (on your latest blog post) as soon as I possibly can, unless I'm not online.

Rules:

1. Kindly avoid promotional/non-sense/unrelated comments as this can be reason for deletion of your comments.

2. Avoid commenting with "nice post"/"thanks for sharing", or the likes. Kindly just read the post and comment something about it.

3. Replying with some facts/rumors or other info related to the post is well appreciated too.

Your comments always make my day(s) feel special and appreciated and each comment will be followed up as well. Thank you and have a wonderful day ahead~