Be My Homemade Honey Buns, I'll get you high on Coconut-flavoured cotton candy~

Philosophy 3-in-1 Homemade Honey Buns Shampoo, Shower Gel & Bubble Bath

Honestly, Honey Buns aren't really a thing over at Singapore. For us folks, it's more of the Nasi Lemak, Roti Prata, Laksa, Durian, Chilli Crab etc thing that is going on. But on the other hand, I know honey smells nice and awesome and this was going on sale at an offer price together with the Coconut Lotion near Christmas season a few years back. I am a slut when shower gels are on massive discount a.k.a shower gels shopping spree for me~

And let's face it, I am a rather slowpoke when it comes to using shower gels whether it's cheap or expensive. In short, most women are more of the shoe slut, handbag slut, jewellery slut type but I am personally of a shower gel slut type. Yeah, I collect shower gels and take forever to finish them. Anyway, I gave the Coconut Lotion to my mother back when she was still alive. Since I couldn't find it in her stash now, I'll presume she finished using it.


Homemade Honey Buns Recipe

The recipe was on the bottle, and I thought there might be folks who are curious enough to try their hand at making real edible homemade honey buns, so here is the recipe in all it's glory~

Ingredients:

  • 1 cup packed brown sugar
  • ¼ cup water
  • 4 tbsp. Butter, softened
  • 1 lb. Frozen White Bread Dough (thawed)
  • 2 tsp. Honey
  • ½ cup chopped Pecans


Method:

  • Combine ⅔ cup brown sugar with water and 2 tbsp. butter in saucepan.
  • When melted, spread into baking dish.
  • Roll dough, dusting with remaining butter.
  • Sprinkle with brown sugar, honey and pecans.
  • Roll up, pinching the seam tightly.
  • Cut into 12 pieces.
  • Bake at 350°F for 30 minutes.


Note: I do not have an oven at home, hence I am unable to post up a photo of these homemade honey buns. But if anyone is curious enough to try and wants their 5 minutes of fame, comment with the respective link below at the end of the post and I will link it back to your FB, instagram or whatever platform the photo is on~


Philosophy 3-in-1 Homemade Honey Buns Shampoo, Shower Gel & Bubble Bath

A look at the list of ingredients that went into this bottle of Homemade Honey Buns 3-in-1 product.


Philosophy 3-in-1 Homemade Honey Buns Shampoo, Shower Gel & Bubble Bath

I personally love how there is a peelable seal present. I mean, I could have bought it for god knows how many years ago before I finally get to using it. And because it is sealed, it is still legitly considered "fresh" until it is opened. And you only need to worry about using it fast (or slow) depending on how much longer it will "expire". So yeah, products should have this type of seal on them!


Philosophy 3-in-1 Homemade Honey Buns Shampoo, Shower Gel & Bubble Bath

Looks like very concentrated honey to me and the scent is so heavenly. Although the scent didn't linger long enough after using it as a shower gel. I didn't use it on my hair due to my worrying concerns regardiny my scalp. But I doubt the scent will actually linger on even if it is used as a shampoo. Bath wise, well.. I don't have a tub at home, so yeah haha 😅


It doesn't take much effort to get foam and a tiny bit of bubble out of it. Thankfully, it doesn't feel drying after using although I wouldn't deem it moisturizing either. It's just the scent that makes you feel good because it smells deliciously sweet.


Facts about Honey Buns

  • A honey bun is a sweet roll of Canadian or Swedish origin, somewhat similar to the cinnamon bun. A honey bun is a fried yeast pastry that contains honey and a swirl of cinnamon in the dough and is glazed with icing.
  • Honey buns are extraordinarily popular in prison, and particularly in the Florida penal system. For example, some inmates use the pastries as the base of a makeshift birthday cake, one which “involves squeezing a peanut butter packet over the icing, topping that with crushed cookies, then applying a finishing touch of crushed peanut M&Ms or a melted chocolate bar". Honey buns are even used as a mode of currency in Florida prisons.
  • Made from dough leavened with yeast and rolled into a coil, honey buns are traditionally deep-fried then coated with a layer of sugary white icing. High in calories, honey buns contain significant amounts of both carbohydrates and fat.
  • The original Honey Bun brand was founded in Jamaica in 1982 by Herbert Chong, now Executive Chairman, and Michelle Chong, now CEO of the company.
  • For all their sweetness, honey buns have a history of involvement in prison violence. In 2006, at the Kent County Jail in Michigan, inmate Benny Rochelle dragged his cell mate off the top bunk, killing the man, when he could not find his honey bun.

  • Note: These honey buns are getting a little too "violent" to be continued further... 😥


Technically, Sephora did carry quite an extensive range of the shower gels, bodyy lotions, etc particularly during or near Christmas season, explicitly more choices if I have to phrase it properly. But I was personally kinda drawn towards the Homemade Honey Buns 3-in-1 and besides, what can go wrong with anything that states "Honey" on it's packaging right?

The scent is really nice, deliciously sweet to be exact but the scent didn't really linger long enough. For other types and brands of shower gels, the scent may not be that strong but it does linger a little bit longer that puts me in a good mood. This product just made me feel giddily happy, only when I am using it in the shower. As soon as I stepoed out of the shower, that feeling of happiness just went "poof".

The product itself is a 3-in-1, which means you can use it as a shampoo, shower gel and/or bubble bath. I used it solely as a shower gel due to my scalp concerns, the product itself thankfully didn't made my skin feel dry but it doesn't feel moisturizing enough either. It just smells heavenly and super delicious, makes you feel like you just had a temporary sugar high and that is about it.

But the fact that the recipe looks real enough for aspiring home bakers to give it a try may make up for it's other lack thereof. Maybe on a personal note, I should have tried choosing a scent that I really really love and want to try 😥


P/S: I won't include the price I bought this at, the exact location etc as I actually purchased it more than 4 or 5 years ago at Sephora JEM. And because I haven't been inside any Sephora outlet in years, I cannot be certain if they still carry this line of products, if the price is still the same or whatsoever. But what I can tell you is that I bought this 3-in-1 Homemade Honey Buns Shampoo, Shower Gel & Bath as a bundle with the Coconut Body Lotion and I do recall it costs less than SGD$50 as a 2 in 1 bundle.

However, if Sephora or Philosphy wants to send me retail-sized samples for this range to try/test and review, I would gladly do it in a heartbeat. Only the retail-sized bottles yeah~ 😉

Unknown

Riih Rion is bashful when facing cameras and video-cams. But she soon realized she is more comfortable behind a PC screen than in front of a lens. Riih is passionate about beauty products, paranormal & folk lore from anywhere in the world and sushi. Especially sushi. Come visit her blogs or drop her a comment :D

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on -Chopsticks-, a personal blog that touches on pop culture. Kindly note that I will comment back on your blog (on your latest blog post) as soon as I possibly can, unless I'm not online.

Rules:

1. Kindly avoid promotional/non-sense/unrelated comments as this can be reason for deletion of your comments.

2. Avoid commenting with "nice post"/"thanks for sharing", or the likes. Kindly just read the post and comment something about it.

3. Replying with some facts/rumors or other info related to the post is well appreciated too.

Your comments always make my day(s) feel special and appreciated and each comment will be followed up as well. Thank you and have a wonderful day ahead~